OpenMoko + Exchange

Adolf Winterer adolf.j.winterer at inn-salzach.de
Tue Sep 29 07:21:35 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 29 September 2009 05:45:55 not12listen wrote:
> Al Johnson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 September 2009, not12listen wrote:
> >> bringing this back from the dead...
> >>
> >> i've been off the OM boards for a bit, but my interest in owning one has
> >> not diminished in the slightest.
> >>
> >> my question still stands...  is there a reasonable method by which to
> >> connect an OM device to an exchange server?
> >>
> >> in all honesty, if there is, i'd run out and buy one tomorrow... :)
> >>
> >> again, i am VERY green when it comes to linux, but is there a way to
> >> package the Exchange connection add-on of Evolution to either Claws,
> >> Openmoko Mail or Qtmail?  or, is that idea much like re-inventing the
> >> wheel?
> >
> > What _exactly_ do you mean by 'connect to an exchange server'? I ask
> > because
> > for some people it means 'read my inbox' while others think it means
> > 'look and
> > feel exactly as Outlook does.' There's a world of difference between
> > them, and
> > probably solutions for several points in between. What capabilities are
> > deal
> > breakers if missing, and which ones don't you care about?

> my apologies for not being clear.
>
> i need to be able to view/reply to emails within my inbox and the folders
> inside, and also view/edit my calendar - all of this is hosted on an
> exchange server of course.

There is a project under development, which does native MAPI for communication
with Exchange servers, allowing access to all types of objects (folders,
shared folders, calendar, contacts...). You may want to have a look at it:
<http://www.openchange.org/>

The functions are bundled into a library (libmapi), making them available to
all applications that care to use the library. Early versions of interfaces
to the library exist for Evolution and the KDE PIM framework Akonadi.

- Adolf