GPS stopped working, can't figure it out... what else?

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Sat Jul 10 18:59:43 CEST 2010

Joachim Ott <jo.omsl at googlemail.com> writes:
>> The alternative is to keep GPS constanly on but in low power
>> state. This gives you privacy and you don't need internet connectivity
>> either.
>
> How to I set that low power mode? GPS time is the cheapest clock
> source on the FR.

I personally do

darcs get http://iki.fi/lindi/darcs/ubx
cd ubx
./set-nmea.py off
./set-periodic-logging.py off
./set-fixnowmode.py on

to turn the power saving mode on and then use

./set-fixnowmode.py off
./set-nmea.py on
./set-periodic-logging.py on

to return to normal mode. If you want to suspend you also need to say

om gps keep-on-in-suspend 1

to make sure that the GPS stays on during suspend.

NOTE: This works only if you make sure that no other process is using
/dev/gps

(om is part of omhacks which you can get from debian or SHR (I think)
or http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-fso/omhacks.git;a=summary

Note that I added 2.6.32 support just yesterday to
iki.fi/lindi/git/omhacks and it hasn't been propagated yet to SHR or
debian.)

-Timo