Openmoko Bug #1989: addressbook not handling vCard 2.1 with multiline records correctly on importing, often leading to crash (wild memory leak)

Openmoko Public Trac bugs at docs.openmoko.org
Wed Sep 10 13:40:54 CEST 2008

#1989: addressbook not handling vCard 2.1 with multiline records correctly on
importing, often leading to crash (wild memory leak)
 Reporter:  kavol    |          Owner:  zecke
     Type:  defect   |         Status:  new
Component:  Qtopia   |        Version:  Om2008.9-dev
 Severity:  blocker  |       Keywords:
Blockedby:           |   Reproducible:  always
 Blocking:           |
 Hi.

 I've exported my contacts from kaddressbook using vCard 2.1 format (cannot
 use v 3.0, see ticket #1988) into a single file. I've copied the file onto
 Freerunner and run "DISPLAY=:0 addressbook addressbook.vcf" from the
 console.

 The FreeRunner got stuck then.

 Trying to find the cause:
 - FreeRunner got stuck because oom killer killed some system processes
 - oom killer kicked in because the addressbook greedily allocated memory
 - the addressbook does this only on some vCard records
 - the thing which these have in common is that there are multiline records

 The other problem is, if "quoted printable" encoding is used and the line
 ends in the middle of encoded character, the program does not crash, but
 the character is decoded incorrectly.

 I attach test case vCards for both problems.

 I am using packages from testing:
 Package: qtopia-phone-x11-addressbook
 Version: 1:4.3.2+gitr3+906a00fdcb89fdcc8252f84a76625eb42c8fe302-r41

--
Ticket URL: <https://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1989>
docs.openmoko.org <http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/>