Openmoko Bug #2135: write kernel crash message somewhere where it can be retrieved after reboot?

Openmoko Public Trac bugs at docs.openmoko.org
Wed Apr 22 16:06:43 CEST 2009

#2135: write kernel crash message somewhere where it can be retrieved after
reboot?
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  lindi            |          Owner:  openmoko-kernel
     Type:  enhancement      |         Status:  new
Component:  System Software  |        Version:  unspecified
 Severity:  normal           |       Keywords:
 Haspatch:  0                |      Blockedby:
Estimated:                   |    Patchreview:
 Blocking:                   |   Reproducible:
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

Comment(by arhuaco):

 Replying to [comment:20 lindi]:
 > The current shortcoming of ramconsole-1.patch are:
 > 1) It needs mem=127M option
 > 2) panic=20 and/or watchdog is needed so that user can recover the
 message after reboot

 I read the thread Andy pointed to us ( http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/1/21/250
 ). This is a feature that will help many people but I don't think we have
 the manpower to think of upstream for this right now. Thus I guess I can
 modify your patch and send it. We could have a boot parameter
 (om_ramconsole=N) and we could use 2^N for the ramconsole size. It would
 be disabled by default. Since we would have to enable it manually and we
 would provide the documentation concern #1 and concern #2 are not really a
 problem.

--
Ticket URL: <https://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2135#comment:21>
docs.openmoko.org <http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/>