Light sensor

Tim Newsom cephdon at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 01:33:40 CET 2006

> the problem with doing it this way, is you'd need some way to notify
> each application of all the sensors available at runtime, or you
> re-compile each availability sensitive app for every combination of
> sensors (having that many versions of software is sure to turn off
> Sean's dad) there's definately more to think about on this one

Are you thinking of not only notifying each application on the number of
sensors.. (That would be easy enough in the api) but also to let them
have access to the setup/configure api for each one?

Enumerating over each sensor that is active would be fairly easy using
the plugin mechanism previously described...  If every plugin had the
same output ranges... Say 0 to 255 or whatever and using the probability
scenario he talked about the application would only need to know one
interface, I.e. Availability.   As I understand the proposal, and I
might be wrong, it would end up a heirarchy.  Lower level plugins could
be accessed at any level but the common usage would be to build
behaviors going up from the sensors and applications would interface
with that... Is that right?

With that in mind, each plugin would register with some service which
handles the interface to applications.  Each behavior created would do
the same and gain access to the sensors available.  Then a control panel
could be created to enable/disable some but not all plugins at the will
of the user, though that would modify the behaviors, they would then act
on the information currently available.

Seems like a fairly interesting concept.  Do I understand the concepts
or am I missing something?

--Tim