Can The Proprietary GPS Daemon Be Removed?

Jeff Andros whitedrought at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 08:24:01 CET 2006

On 12/3/06, Sean Moss-Pultz <sean_mosko at fic.com.tw> wrote:

> On 12/3/06 10:41 AM, "Frode" <edorfaus at xepher.net> wrote:
>
> > My question is: would it be possible to use non-assisted GPS without the
> > proprietary daemon? Or will that too be disabled without it?
>
> I highly doubt it. But we can't stop you for trying ;-)
>
> -Sean

we could always attempt to reverse engineer. As I understand it, if one of
us wrote a wrapper daemon, that monitored all input and output from the
daemon, as well as the HW registers it reads, then a bunch of us walk around
collecting data and post our findings,  and a different person were to take
that data and write a daemon that is logically equivalent, we're not
breaking any laws.

Maybe we could do this with fewer steps, but I'm not an expert on RE law,
but I'm about 95% certain that what I described will be legal, ethical, and
probably lead to a better GPS system through evolution.

I'm game, what about everyone else?
--
--Jeff
What DO you call whitewater when you live in the desert?