(text/number/info/notes) input with power of multi-touch :)))) Re: multicolour multi-touch screen Re: OpenMoko/Neo1973 is pure (r)evolution :))) - do you recognized the power of "multi-touch gesture recognition"

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Tue Dec 5 01:47:07 CET 2006

Salve!

Ohh it is so obvious wich power multi-touch
brings into text input systems :)))))

Remember the newton or Palmpilot regongnition sytems
drawing a line like a alpha makes a small "a"
-now use two finger nails/tips at the same time to
draw this line and it could become a big "A".

> Summary of multi-colour, multi-touch
> - position of touch
> - touch area
> - touch intensitivity
> - touch moving
> - combination with other touch points
> - and *new* colour of the touch
>
> have an incredible potential for input/interactivation

Even without colour - the coulor was just a middle stepp for me...

First let me say that I do not think that one text input system
will be fit/the best for every Neo1973 user and also for every
situation. Interaction like normal mobile  2=a 22=b 222=c
will be a must have like a virtual querty/querz keyboard.

This thread have some interesting other key input systems as well
and I like David's demo
> http://dave.hereticmonkey.com/musings/phone_keyboard.html
but correct me if I would be wrong - this are only single
touch concepts.

- missing physicalicaly buttons would make using the keyboard
  bind - focusing on the text that I write or that I like to
  copy would become unpossible - adding a grid around the
  virtual keys could help focussing my finger on the right
  places

- SMS input "2=a 22=b 222=c" morsing and other methods are
  anouing, because it has a sinificant time that you need
  for coding a key - not with one touch

I have learnd grafitty quite fast an can still use it today.
But what would be possible without hardware buttons, but with
multi-touch?

   -now use two finger nails/tips at the same time to
   draw this line and it could become a big "A".

This is a foretaste/handsel what new concepts would become
possible with multi-touch :)))

put your four longest finger together and place over the screen,
parallel to one side, or 45° twisted:
00			 0
00			0 0
			 0
Now the recognition (0=touch #=no touch)
#0 0# 00 0# #0 00 00
0# #0 #0 00 00 0# 00
in both position would be possible for shure (2x7=14 different keys)

Pattern like this
00 0# ## #0 0# #0 ## ##
## 0# 00 #0 ## ## 0# #0  (2x8=16)
will be likly possible to recongince relative to the other position
from this just 3 pattern will be definite
0 00 0
0		2x3=6

Than the 3 finger could be used:

000 0  0        0
    0	0     0
    0    0  0

2x4=8

mabe also at higher or lower level .....
So at last this would make 24 pattern for shure

or separtion of single fingers
0 0
00

or by using 5 fingers like
000
00

No let us use the same pattern with a little distances bettween our
finger (narrow & wide) that makes 48 different pattern for shure
(64 likly) with one multi-touch with 4 fingers *without*
- movement of our finger on the screen
- without special areas on the touchscreen

Avery pattern can be moved into 8 direction
(up,down,right,left,rightuppercorner...)
and the movemend could be directly (in different lengh eg. 1/4,1/2,3/4,1)
or with a cirle (e.g. 1/4,1/2,3/4,1) so that would make 64 different
movemnts.

Without combination or going back (up-down) would it be
48*64=3072 (or 4096) pattern.

So again comparing with single touch a multi touch sensor
would make it possible to use our fingers in relative position
to each other and touch with (one or) more fingers simultanious
to create special codes on this to use this with or without
movement of the touch for
-text/information input
-dialing
-commands (inside a program/window or system wide)
-switching between the programs
-input for music
-other input

With such a multi-touch coded imput e.g

0# c #0 d 00 e
#0   0#   #0
would it possible to input music without special areas on the screen.
Turning it with 45° (positiv direction) it could raise the note with
a have step up
 0
# #
 0   cis
other direction it could be a have stepp down "ces" - hearable sliding
sound when turning while touching - unhearable and with an accurate
cis or ces by retouching.

narrow,wide (or just more distance level) could encrease the input
over 2 or more oktave

Imagene to splite the display into 2 ore more major areas - this
could become different instruments - the position could influence
the sound level (key dynamic) or the sound itself

So instead of a virual piano keyboard such multi-touch input
could be used for blind playing as well - with 2 voices/instruments
bass and saxophone - and other multi-touch commands could be used
to manimulate the simulator - changing the instruments, the sound
effects....

Even without learning playing with to hands such a multi-touch-input
system would be fun, because it is dual use - you could use it for
writing and making music.

So I like to propose to use the power of multi touch for
key/text/information input to be able to

- Do it blind
- Do it fast
- Do it everywhere on the screen

:)

Can sombodey explain how much description/publication of an idea
is necessary that this is "a priori" enough against patents of other
people?
To avoid such a patant:
"Multi touch sensors allows to use multipe touch to code special
input funktions e.g. charactes, menue selections, sounds, commands
with special pattern, pressed with one or more finger/stick/pysical
object at the same time or in sequence after each other - with
or without special movement of the same pattern or from one to
the other pattern with/without retouching the screen."

How could we make this idea more clear, more powerfull?
What new ideas could you add to use the power of multi touch to
do thinks in a new, better way?

Cheers,
rob