Text entry

Ben shadroth at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 08:02:33 CET 2006

On 12/1/06, Sean Moss-Pultz <sean_mosko at fic.com.tw> wrote:
> I found this guy's idea quite interesting a while back:
>
> http://www.strout.net/info/ideas/hexinput.html

This idea is great.

I use the Colemak layout [ http://www.colemak.com ] in place of
QWERTY. Shai Colemak has done a heap of research on digraphs (two
letter combinations) and would probably be a good person to talk to
about efficient hex layouts. David Ormsbee may also be interested in
talking to him.

I've also used the Frogpad [ http://www.frogpad.com ] which I thought
was ok. It needs a replaceable battery and a no lag mode for gaming
and other applications. The current model would work fairly well for
single handed text entry at up to 40WPM.

Morse code beats multitap, but probably not T9 for text entry. It may
wear out the touch screen.

My vote at this stage would be for hex input optimised by Shai.

Of course, the advantage of OpenMoko is that we wouldn't have to choose :-)

Ben