Is it portable? [scanned]

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Tue Dec 5 13:32:30 CET 2006

Salve Markus!

I'm just a student interested in Openmoko/Neo1973 and
I'm no expert for embedded systems - but I think it
is so obvious that there will be no Linux running
on a XDA in the next time that I think I could give
you this anwswer:

Markus Stehr schrieb am Dienstag, den 05. Dezember 2006 um 08:37h:

> Just wanted to know if openmoko will be portable, for example to the XDA
> Neo. Want to get rid of WinMobile on that device.

For such a wish it is not the qustion if openmoko is portable enough,
the question is what can you do on/with a XDA:

- Do you have Linux GSM, audio driver for XDA?
- Do you have a bootloader for the XDA?
- Will you convert application build for multi-touchscreen
  to a phone with single-touch?
- How many people will join to hack a XDA?
- Why should they do fighting against a propritary system,
  when there is an open, supported device (Neo1973)?

So IMHO it isn't realistic that openmoko will run on a XDA and will
used it with GSM functions (no driver, no GSM).
I even don't expect that it will run on Motorolas Linux phones in near
future

Ideas for you when you don't like to join developing with the Neo1973,
or also if you can't wait to use a little bit Linux on a mobil:
- use floydssh to have SSH (1) via GPRS or Bluetooth
http://phoenix.inf.upol.cz/~polakr/
- try to use freenx via Bluetooth or GPRS on your XDA
http://freenx.berlios.de/

I hope that this will not disapointed you so much that you
are loosing the interest on OpenMoko/Neo1973.

- What do you dislike (hate most) with your XDA?
- What do you miss most with that device?

Greetings,
rob