Is it portable? [scanned]

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Tue Dec 5 16:15:24 CET 2006

Salve Oleg!

Oleg Gusev schrieb am Dienstag, den 05. Dezember 2006 um 14:22h:

> Am Dienstag, 5. Dezember 2006 13:32 schrieb Robert Michel:
> >
> > I'm no expert for embedded systems - but I think it
> > is so obvious that there will be no Linux running
> > on a XDA in the next time
>
> The only reason for no (advanced) Linux on XDA
> _Neo_ (HTC Prophet
> http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_Prophet)
> is the undocumented OMAP850 CPU. Many other XDA-type
> phones already have a working Linux distribution running
> on them. Look for the "HTC phones" section here:
> http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/SupportedHandheldSummary

Oh, so I was wrong - but I feel *much* more comfortable with
an project that is open from the beginning - with full support
of the hardware and the interest of the hardware producer to
have this hardware+SDK as long term stratgie instead of
reverse engineering and the danger that next generation of
hardware will have some tricks to try to prohibit installing
an other OS.

But when you know these projects a little bit - do you know
some ideas what these hackers whant to make better on this
phones - something we could make with Openmoko as well?

Greetings,
rob