FPGA? [scanned]

Paul Bohme openmoko at bohme.org
Wed Dec 6 18:41:54 CET 2006

Ole Tange wrote:

> That is exactly what the software radio is about.

My original question remains: Why do this with a _phone_?  There are
more than likely plenty of other kits out there for this, why burden
something that's otherwise a dedicated device (granted one with quite a
bit of flexibility, but still) with lots of what has nothing to do with
its mainline function?

If it had the ability to still be a phone _and_ drive other devices,
perhaps there would be more merit.  While I'm looking forward to getting
one of these for my own hacking and projects, there's no denying that it
would be much 'cooler' if it had bluetooth or wifi.  Guess I'll look
forward to buying one of those models at some point in the future.. ;-)

Making the main radio unit that accessible would also more than likely
get the phone into all kinds of regulatory issues, not to mention a
serious nightmare for carriers.  Have gone through bits of the testing
required to get a cell product on the market in the States, and it's not
easy (or cheap!) - nor do they look favorably on changes.

  -P