Shiny geek toy?

Christopher Heiny heiny at starband.net
Thu Dec 7 17:38:03 CET 2006

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 20:28, bullet holes in a road sign were found
to spell the following message:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> You are very right, of course. However, fantasies have their place in
> product design. They inspire ideas. Out of 100 (or 1000) of our
> completely wild fantasy ideas, one of them might turn out to be really
> useful and practical.

Thanks for the reality check Michael.  You're very right that the fantasy
process has its place in product design - in fact, it's very very
important.

Part of my day job is to nudge (or sometimes thump) the fantasies of my own
team back into line with reality.  It looks like I let that leak over into
OpenMoko, too.  I'll have to be more careful about that in the future.

> I love exploring the FPGA idea. I think it's creative, different, and
> inspires further creativity. But I completely agree with you that a
> developer-reprogrammable FPGA in this device is completely impractical.
>
> When we have a wiki, we will have a section for fantasy wishes. We will
> play there to our hearts content without thinking of practical aspects.
> And, once in awhile, an idea from the fantasy pages may be transferred to
> the list of features to be implemented.
>
> Until we have the wiki, I believe that Sean and the others are able to
> sort our ideas into the proper categories.

Definitely.