ideas with SMS

Richard Franks spontificus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 21:45:01 CET 2006

Salve Rob!

On 12/7/06, Robert Michel <openmoko at robertmichel.de> wrote:
> ?cologne
> I will go to cologne by train on 10.12.2006 14:12h from Aachen central trainstaion.

?cologne.*
Have affair at 19:00, don't tell wife or bishop.

The issues I see are:
1) The feasibility of entering all of your day-to-day info in such detail
2) How to logically secure access to that information once it is present

This goes a bit beyond the medium (SMS) and into the mechanism (???).

The latter interests me more as assuming you have this information
available to SMS, you have it available for any other application too?

A computer you carry in your pocket is a very different beast than one
you go to work or university to meet. It knows you more intimately
(location/recent contacts) for a start. Although I suppose that
difference - the ease-of-access to that information is a function of
the reduced complexity of the platform, which is endangered by the
steady advance of OpenMoko. When there's only one of every type of
application - it's easier to integrate.

But I wonder if there are general-knowledge schema's which would
actually benefit the user and aid in collating information?

For example, you enter "trip to cologne" in your calender, an
unintrusive UI element changes in relation to this - e.g. the phrase
is highlighted. So you follow that link:

* Obtain return date
* Disambiguation - "trip to Cologne, Germany" vs "trip to Cologne
Museum, Stinkville, USA"
* Query whether user wishes to enter info about:
- accomodation (if yes - who with? Add contact list entry?)
- business or personal (or, as in this example, both)
- meetings (contact info, specific location details, time etc)
- attractions
* Access info
- notifications?

etc, etc.
But then, assuming this information is available system-wide.. another
utility could independently compare GPS locations with commitments -
one button press to email apology with estimated time of arrival.

Do knowledge based schemas like that exist anywhere in the public
domain? Is it worth the trouble of implementing them?

Richard