GPLv3 and Mobile Phones

Oleg Gusev oleg at crista.uni-wuppertal.de
Sat Dec 9 18:33:33 CET 2006

Am Samstag, 9. Dezember 2006 17:59 schrieb Richard Franks:

> You might have to perform some really ugly hacks to ensure this
> backwards compatibility, and it may even affect overall system
> performance - but it's still a pragmatic choice - the Zaurus was stuck
> on principle, the unwillingness to invest significant kernel changes
> or compromises because of a closed-source module.

I have an original Zaurus 5500, and it still does not support SD/SDIO
in the 2.6 kernel.  An experienced kernel hacker can easily write a driver,
because the card is on a simple SPI port.
It was not done to protest against the decision made by Sharp to
include a binary driver.
Was it really a pragmatic choice ?

 Oleg.