GPLv3 and Mobile Phones

David Schlesinger David.Schlesinger at palmsource.com
Sat Dec 9 19:16:34 CET 2006

>> It was not done to protest against the decision made by Sharp to
>> include a binary driver.
>> Was it really a pragmatic choice ?
>
>This is a rhetorical question? :-)

I find this all kind of fascinating. I doubt this "protest" particularly impacts Sharp: after all, they've already gotten your money for the Zaurus. The main outcome here seems to be ensuring your own inability to take advantage of small, high-capacity storage media. I guess if that makes one feel virtuous, that's something, anyway...

(For what it's worth, my general view is that making technical decisions based on political agendas leads to ungainly implementations, at the very least. )