GSM security question, mic directly connected to the GSM chip? Re: GPLv3 and Mobile Phones

Sean Moss-Pultz sean_mosko at fic.com.tw
Tue Dec 12 14:14:02 CET 2006

On 12/12/06 1:15 AM, "Robert Michel" <openmoko at robertmichel.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006, Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
>> On 12/10/06 3:02 AM, "Stefan Schmidt" <stefan at datenfreihafen.org> wrote:
>>> Keep in mind that I'm not speaking for the FIC team here. The flash
>>> chips containing the BP OS will be able get new firmware flashed. I'm
>>> pretty sure that no GSM stack is bugfree.
> "roving bug"?
>> Stefan is totally correct here. The GSM subsystem is most certainly not ROM.
>
> So the firmware could be changed over the network without the chance to
> recognince that, right?

Firmware for the GSM system is actually updated from the ear jack port. It
cannot be updated over the air.

I _really_ wish we could give you all access to this but it requires a very
special (read proprietary) toolkit provided by Ti and code is totally
closed.

> I think it will not be possible to do something against "silent SMS"¹
> but that the mic could be used remotly with the close source GSM chip,
> is something that should be avoidable.
> Will the Neo1973 have a protection that the mic could be disconected
> form the GSM chip when not calling?

You guys will have control over the mic. This stuff is all handled on the
2410 side.

-Sean