GSM security question, mic directly connected to the GSM chip? Re: GPLv3 and Mobile Phones

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Tue Dec 12 14:43:49 CET 2006

Salve Sean!

Sean Moss-Pultz schrieb am Dienstag, den 12. Dezember 2006 um 21:14h:
> > So the firmware could be changed over the network without the chance to
> > recognince that, right?
>
> Firmware for the GSM system is actually updated from the ear jack port. It
> cannot be updated over the air.

> I _really_ wish we could give you all access to this but it requires a very
> special (read proprietary) toolkit provided by Ti and code is totally
> closed.

I can understand that the GSM part has to be protected...

For hackers could be interesting to have a chance to monitor the GSM
modul, e.g. the power consumption to detec some exceptional GSM action
- e.g. "silent SMS" detection: "Warning - your mobile is probably
tracked with silent SMS".

> > I think it will not be possible to do something against "silent SMS"¹
> > but that the mic could be used remotly with the close source GSM chip,
> > is something that should be avoidable.
> > Will the Neo1973 have a protection that the mic could be disconected
> > form the GSM chip when not calling?
>
> You guys will have control over the mic. This stuff is all handled on the
> 2410 side.

Control over the mic != no direct mic connection to the GSM-unit.

As long as the GSM part is realy one isolated chip/modul,
the mic is 100% controlled *only* by the S3C2410 it is (IMHO) fine.

BTW I'm not thinking that I'm so interesting that some authorities will
listen me - I'm thinking that OpenMoko/Neo1973 will be a trustworthy
phone for manager and politicans  - the "roving bug" issue is an (other)
good argument for them and their ICT departement to choose OpenMoko/Neo1973.
;)

Thank you for your feedback and
cheers ;)
rob

BTW: Do you have some more info for us about the audio/soundcard?  ;))
stereo(?) audio out, 2,5mm jack, frequency 20(?)-20000(?)Hz
stereo(?) audio in(?), 2,5mm jack(?), frequency 20(?)-20000(?)Hz