openmoko as a slimserver client or remote control

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Wed Dec 13 18:51:08 CET 2006

Salve Stefanie!

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Stefanie Tellex wrote:

> This requires wireless internet, but it wouldn't be hard to get a
> slimserver client running on the phone, so you could stream your mp3s to
> the phone and listen to them.  Push a button, and your phone starts
> streaming music from your server.
>
> Slimp3slave is a command line client using the old udp protocol:
> http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/slimp3slave/.  Slimserver has a newer TCP
> based protocol as well, but there isn't a C client yet.  (Slimserver
> itself is a GPL'd perl program, so a C client for the new protocol isn't
> hard, it just hasn't been done yet.)

Of course it would be possible to run Slimp3slave, but consider
that this would only for slimdevice owner
http://www.slimdevices.com/

So IMHO it would be more interesting (for more people) to have a
free server like icecast and use this to a GUI frontend player

And to have the total freedom - the songs could be on PC A,
the soundcard on PC B and the Neo1973 would controll to play
this songs.

> Even cooler would be adding a remote control interface to slimserver
> that runs on the phone.  You pull out the phone and start controlling
> the music coming out of your speakers.  We have two slimserver clients
> in our apartment: it could use GPS to figure out which one is closest,
> and connect to that one to change the volume, switch songs, or whatever.

Yes this would be cool, but until I haven't saw it with my own eyes,
I would not expect GPS accuracy <10m indoor.

Greetings,
rob