capacitor to call the police without battery and SIM card *g* Re: Fun with Stolen/Lost Phones..

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Fri Dec 15 19:45:25 CET 2006

Salve Rodolphe!

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Rodolphe Ortalo wrote:

> Le mardi 12 décembre 2006 à 20:41 +0100, Robert Michel a écrit :
> > Salve Rodolphe!
> >
> > On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Rodolphe Ortalo wrote:
> >
> > > Save some power of the battery for normal usage please!
> > >
> > > :-) Rodolphe
> >
> > The Stolen/Lost modus would be only activated optional,
> > so in normal usage it would not cost battery. ;)
>
> Well, so, on behalf of the legitimate user activation, let's get even
> more efficient. IMHO, a direct message to the thief could be sufficient.
> You know, something like: "This phone is a Neo1973 and as such is under
> the protection of the world wide open-source hackers community. Please,
> from now on, stop smoking, drop all weapons, and handle this device
> *especially* carefully. Then, head {north,east,west,south} on this
> street, take the second on your left and enter the {police
> station,jail,tribunal,military installation} to confess your offence.
> Immediate conformance to these instructions is expected before
> appropriate retaliation is launched. (Appropriate countdown
> starting...)"
:))

Did I alread mentioned the idea to have a capacitor parallel
to the battery? So the Neo1973 cold call the police even without
battery and the simcard and transmitt the coordinates of the phone.
***g*** (of course with black screen...)

Or some messages on the screen from time to time without battery
"I'm stolen - give me to the police"

A question of Thomas Schmidt (wetherfax circuit) "can I then
see where I put my phone...?" brought me to the idea.
First I thought a special call id could activate GPRS and
transmitt the coordinates to the server....
toooo complicated for the most owner.

Text to speach directly on the phone would be nice and with
this menue it would be possible to activate call alarm as well,
when it is somewhere in your flat, but you switched of all sound
and vibra.

So how to come into this meneu by calling your Neo1973?
Not everybody has asterisk gateway to get a special calling ID
to autentificate yor to get this voice menue.
Hmmmm

1. You could use a phone of a friend to send a SMS with a onetime code.
2. you using a voice menue for all anonymous caller - so when you
   borrow a phone from a friend, you could switch of the caller nummber
   transmission
3. calls which are not in your adress book (telephone booth) could be
   delead for 4 seconds before the call is signalisated.
   So calling 2 times in 40 second could switch you to the voice meneu
   "hello this is the voice box of robert..."
When you now type in your special code you could get into your meneu
where you can choose
"Press 0 when you want to aktivate the stolen modus"
"Press 1 when you want to know the coordinates of your phone now"

So a solution without a server would be possible for *every* Neo1973
owner :)

Greetings,
rob