Killer Application

Terrence Barr - Evangelist, Java Mobile & Embedded Community Terrence.Barr at Sun.COM
Mon Dec 18 11:35:29 CET 2006

Gabriel,

Sorry, but I can't leave this undisputed. I agree there is definitely
a line at which a UI is so dumbed-down that it is inflexible and doesn't
accommodate anything but the most basic operations. That is the case
for many "consumer" applications (including some of the Apple i* apps).
The audience for those applications is very specific and if one needs
more feature-richs apps you can simply install something better.

However, the case of "stubborn, lowest common denominator" can certainly
*not* be made for OS X. Have you actually ever used OS X? I am a computer
engineer and I do *everything* on my Mac, including hard-core engineering
work. Over the last 15 years I've used most versions Windows, various
flavors of UNIX, and various embedded OSes. I find that OS X gives me
by far the greatest productivity of all systems pretty much regardless
of the task. And at the end of the day that is what counts for me, not
the degree to which I can *fiddle* with a system.

Just wanted to set that straight (and get that flame-war started ;-)

-- Terrence