Idea: WiFi to GPRS gateway

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Wed Dec 27 18:32:00 CET 2006

On Wednesday 27 December 2006 18:16, Ole Tange wrote:
> I actually thought it was more a software/firmware issue. I might be wrong.

Once you have the two systems talking to each other (for which adhoc would
likely be fine if AP mode doesnt work [1]), the software issue becomes
actually quite trivial (or I'm missing something).

You need NAT in the kernel to act as a gateway and possible dnsmasq (or
similar) to do DHCP, both of which are very well understood (especially after
years of hacking WRT54 and it's brethren) and available for OpenEmbedded.

[1] Not sure what Win does with DHCP in adhoc mode though. As last resort, you
could do without DHCP sacrificing mostly just some comfort.