Feature suggestion for phone function: calling cards

Dimitris Kogias dimitris at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 08:38:27 CET 2006

Andreas Kostyrka wrote:
> One last thing, it's something that is usually not implemented, as it
> allows to lower phone costs; as the phone is being sold directly to
> the users, it should relativly easy (politically) to implement.

My (somewhat aging) SE P910a with vanilla (i.e. non-crippled) firmware
supports calling cards pretty much the way you describe it.

However, most mobile phone itches that I can't scratch involve the
inability to modify the bundled applications' behavior (vs. writing
separate apps).

The way I'd like to see this implemented on openmoko (or any other phone
for that matter) is not as "point" features, but as more generic
script/logic hooks, perhaps using run-parts or dbus for the invokation.

For example, the telephony app can, upon the user "pressing the call
button", end up calling a script which implements the calling card
functionality.

As another example, the messaging app can be caused to call a script
which decides that text messages from non-contact numbers - highly
likely to be spam - will be stored but not "ring" between the hours of
2300 and 0700.  Known spam messages will be sent to /dev/null.

D.