Java and neo1973

Stefano Sanna gerdavax at tiscali.it
Tue Nov 14 00:19:45 CET 2006

Hi.

Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 00:03, Stefano Sanna wrote:
>> What a nice coincidence: neo1973 is arriving full open and Java is
>> moving towards open source. I believe that Java on the neo1973 is a
>> must, in order to support the large market of existing mobile devices.
>
> Why should java be a _must_, just because it's GPL after many years?

With some billions of devices already running Java MIDP applications, I
think any new mobile device should look with interest to it. Being GPLed
just makes easy to have a good VM implementation, because it is still
missing a good one in the open source world.

> It is an option not a must.

You are definitively right. It is an option, but having Java
compatibility may present neo1973 more attractive for mass market. For
instance, there are lot of ready-to-run applications for RSS reading,
email, games, mapping and so on. Maybe it would be easier to port the VM
instead of writing from scratch all the software already available for
Java ME.

> But I'm sure we will see java in openembedded until january. This
> makes it pretty easy for java lovers to install it.

Excellent!

Regards,
Stefano.

Stefano Sanna - gerdavax at tiscali.it
Personal web site: http://www.gerdavax.it
AIM: gerdavax - Skype: gerdavax - Callsign: IS0DZE

Fratelli D'Etails

Gerda: "Mi hanno contattato per avere idee nuove..."
Dada:  "... e le vanno a chiedere proprio a te???"