wlan and voip

Richard Franks richard.franks at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Nov 16 19:38:29 CET 2006

> I guess it comes down to how you view the WiFi chip: it could be either an
> appliance you use to connect to WLANs (like the GSM chip is one to talk to
> the GSM tower) or it might be a more generally useable RF chip whose use for
> other things than WiFi may or may not legal depending on your jurisdiction.
> Personally I'd be very content with an appliance though more freedom
> obviously never hurts.

Eloquently put, wifi does open up many more exciting possibilities but
honestly, I want the first-gen model in my pocket.. wifi or no wifi.

Assuming I can find a decent GPRS data provider, any additional queued
service/comms stack that needs to be written should become more robust
as a result of dealing with intermittent connections anyway - bonus! ;-)

Richard