Unpowered USB 1.1 = 100mA? ( or = 0mA?)

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Mon Nov 20 17:53:14 CET 2006

Salve!

Thank you Sean, to add some "Preliminary Specification" on
http://www.openmoko.com/press/index.html

   Hardware
     * 120.7 x 62 x 18.5 (mm)
     * 2.8" VGA (480x640) TFT Screen
     * Samsung s3c2410 SoC
     * Global Locate AGPS chip
     * Ti GPRS (2.5G not EDGE)
     * Unpowered USB 1.1
     * Touchscreen
     * micro-sd slot
     * 2.5mm audio jack
     * 2 buttons
     * 1200 mAh battery (charged over USB)
     * 128 MB SDRAM
     * 64 MB NAND Flash

Sean wrote:
> Don't any of you guys like surprises? ;-)

Of course ;) and I didn't want to start a big discussion
"ohh but I will a phone with xz" -
I don't want to make Sean think "damm, why did I published
the preliminary specifications...."

Of course, powerd USB and USB 2.0 (much faster, more devices) would
be better, but that is not my point -
I want to know what would be possible to do with the first Neo1973
and with "Unpowered USB 1.1"  (Mini-USB jack).
I know unpowered USB-Hubs wich can serve 100mA, so will I be
able to use the Neo1973 unpowered mini-Usb 1.1 port for
USB-Stick?

Would be an "USB A Female to Mini USB Male Adapter" the right one?
like: http://www.sfcable.com/store/ub15-01.html
Would you agree, that it would be nice when the Neo1973 is be shiped
with one? (The price of US$ 5 to buy one seems to cost as much as the
APGS chip inside the phone ;)
and anotherone would be usefull, too:
"USB A Male to Mini USB Male Adapter" (no long cable) to have a
addapter just in a pocket with you and use the Neo1973 as usb-stick ;)

Does somebody know an adapter (with own batterys) or circuit to
power up the USB port for devices that need power? (Camera, HDDs...)?

BTW Information about Linux and USB, and working devices list, see:
http://www.linux-usb.org
-> "working device list" http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/
-> devices ;)

Greetings,