Just asked for SPST dual-SIM support with one SIM connector - but why not include this directly? ; )

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Tue Nov 21 17:46:39 CET 2006

Salve Sean, *!

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:

> > If you are talking about users interested in dual SIMs phone I think there
> > will be plenty of.
> > Lots of friends of mine have two SIMs because of different operator's offers,
> > and lots of coworkers have work and personal numbers.
>
> Unless I misunderstood the first question, we wanted co-existence. I.E. You
> could have both SIM cards in and working at the same time. This requires a
> rewrite of the protocol stack. Ugly stuff that will require skill and lots
> of field testing.

This was Gabriel's (dream/utopic) idea to use two SIM card, maybe two
different networks at the same time -
*no* idea for the first (or second) Neo1973 ;)

> If all you want is two slots for the SIM cards with some (mechanical) switch
> to pick one during power-on...that's another story.

*My* question was only if the Neo would support dual-SIM and SPST
swithing with High and low power on the SIM selector line
to use small adapter like http://www.dual-sim.com/
This is not only a software question, because it needs hardware support
as well I asked about it now (befor the production starts)

See the ciruit:
> > http://www.novotechdistribution.com/productinfo/sonyericsson/GSM_GPRS/GM48-47/Application Note - Dual SIM connection.pdf
One URL with spaces...

*But* when you ask and the Neo1973 will _not_ be sold by networkprovider
- and *if* there is a little bit space on the board just
one multiplexer like NLAS325
http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NLAS325-D.PDF

A second SIM conector with SPST software switching
(to use to SIM/GSM networks alternative)
would make the Neo1973 more attractive - right?

Especialy when the Neo would become the first phone,
where the phone management could use
-time
-localisation
-incomming calls
for automaticaly switching - something that AFAIK
no other phone offers...
;)

Cheers,
rob