google earth - [was: Re: Another simple GPS+GPRS idea]

bobashforth at comcast.net bobashforth at comcast.net
Mon Nov 27 17:22:30 CET 2006

I've been lurking' since I found out about the OpenMoko effort/product, but this looks like a good time to chime in.

The GPS applications, especially in combination with phone functionality, seem like a great differentiator. Could end up redefining the answer to "What is a cell phone besides 'just' a cell phone?" The answers have so far mostly included (a) a PDA and (b) a music player... this would be a new entry in the race.

I'm at PayPal (one of the eBay properties, along with Skype), and have a good friend who is well-placed in the Google Earth division. (Note that Google Earth and Google Maps are quite different, BTW.) Said friend is on holiday at present, but I'll forward him this thread and relevant links, and we can see where that goes. (I also hope to join the development effort- VoIP and embedded experience from time at Avaya- but need to gauge my available time carefully before committing.)

More news if/when I have any...

Bob

From: "Jeff Andros" <whitedrought at gmail.com>
the Google maps website does list a linux version, but it lists a pentium class processor as a system requirement, I wonder if we could get google to do a custom compile onto our hardware, seems like their style

--Jeff