(re)charging control

Jeff Andros whitedrought at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 17:17:09 CET 2006

On 11/28/06, Marcin Juszkiewicz <openembedded at hrw.one.pl> wrote:

> Dnia wtorek, 28 listopada 2006 13:02, Robert Michel napisał:
> > On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
>
> > > Do you know how many types of Mini-B connector are in use?
>
> > You are right the high number of different USB cables are ugly
> > and unsmart.
> > But that the neo will be chargable via USB, I think, is still
> > much better than a propritary charger ;)
>
> If they will add cable and use *common* type of connector so it will be
> *easy* to buy another cable (one for home, one for work).

1.     Before we get too jumpy about mini-b connectors, is everyone aware
that the USB standard is strictly hierarchical... a host device has an A
connector, and a B connector is for peripherals.  I do realize OpenMoKo is a
blended device(can operate either as master or slave) I don't know whether
or not there's room on the device to place two connectors, or if we'd want
to, I just wonder which way everyone thinks we should go (I'm pretty sure
putting a male connector on the device is just asking for it to get snapped
off).  male male A cables are pretty much an abomination of the standard,
but then they're everywhere and we could go ahead and use them to sync the
device (if you're charging it off a port on your computer it doesn't make
any sense to not sync it)  and having a female A connector on the device
would be easiest to attatch peripherals.  a B style connector would make the
most sense from the standard, but good luck finding a B-B cable... I don't
know, what does everyone think

2.     Also, how much work has gone into a cradle solution for the device...
I absolutely hate chasing cables across my desk; I'd love to have some kind
of dock.  I'm leery of suggesting a combined docking port (please don't do
anything drastic to my car, house, or family for it), but it would be a
convenient place to bring out those NSSP lines among other things, and
Hirose and Molex do both have some easy to acquire connectors and cables.
Possibly multiplexing this with actual USB ports on the phone would make a
great all-round solution, and you could use whichever gives you your warm
fuzzies or fits the situation you're in.

--Jeff