Small evaluation, city: 4 Internet Cafes, 3 Copy Shops, 2 Photo services; university: 1 library , 1 computer room

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Wed Nov 29 18:28:54 CET 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Robert Michel wrote:

> *IDEA*
>  Wait, because these systems support USB mass storage device - couldn't
>  we use a normal browser and on download to a FIFO file and an upload to
>  a   FIFO  to FIFOs on our server? So no local installation, nor Java
>  support (I would have doubts that Java will be allowed to access the
>  USB mass storage device, especialy not a USB network device...)
>  So with this trick we could run an SSH tunnel via the FIFOs and would
>  have Internet connection on our NEO at all these locations :))

This is a brilliant idea. Not only is USB mass storage supported on every
modern computer, but Internet cafes, shops, and libraries are used to seeing
people plug them in and don't consider them a threat (although perhaps they
should).

The phone is a USB host. So is the computer, so don't you need the USB
On-The-Go protocol to determine which is going to host and which is to be the
device? Or is there some other way this work?

I might dig around the Linux implementation a bit to learn more. I find this
idea very interesting.

Michael