openmoko as a slimserver client or remote control

Stefanie Tellex stefie10 at media.mit.edu
Wed Nov 29 22:36:57 CET 2006

This requires wireless internet, but it wouldn't be hard to get a
slimserver client running on the phone, so you could stream your mp3s to
the phone and listen to them.  Push a button, and your phone starts
streaming music from your server.

Slimp3slave is a command line client using the old udp protocol:
http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/slimp3slave/.  Slimserver has a newer TCP
based protocol as well, but there isn't a C client yet.  (Slimserver
itself is a GPL'd perl program, so a C client for the new protocol isn't
hard, it just hasn't been done yet.)

Even cooler would be adding a remote control interface to slimserver
that runs on the phone.  You pull out the phone and start controlling
the music coming out of your speakers.  We have two slimserver clients
in our apartment: it could use GPS to figure out which one is closest,
and connect to that one to change the volume, switch songs, or whatever.

Stefanie