Text entry

Christopher Heiny heiny at starband.net
Thu Nov 30 17:27:33 CET 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 00:17, Alexander Steinert scribbled in crayon
on the back of a kid's menu:
> What do you think about T9? Touching instead pressing keys could
> speed up the process noticable. And the user has the option to fit the
> geometry of keys to his fingers.

Another option is JetKeys
   http://www.jet-way-tech.com/home.html
(sorry about the annoying infinitely repeating Flash demo) although I don't
know if it is subject to IP issues or not.

There is IBM's ShapeWriter (aka Shark) that I mentioned previously.  I don't
recall if that there's any IP on that one, either.
    http://www.almaden.ibm.com/u/zhai/shapewriter.htm

Jumpx (aka Fitaly) already has an open source implementation at
   http://jumpx.sourceforge.net/
Though it is stylus oriented in the current implementation.

Apparently the Xerox patent on single stroke character recognition (the one
that pushed Graffiti out of PalmOS) was ruled invalid a couple of years ago
(just discovered that today - doh!), making something like Graffiti an
option.