Light sensor

Jeff Andros whitedrought at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 19:51:33 CET 2006

On 11/30/06, Richard Franks <richard.franks at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:

> and
> o'clock
> frinds.

> > Agreed - fascinating possibilities! FYI, the Motorola L2 phone has a
> light
> > sensor (it toggles the keypad light), so it's been done already, but -
> of
> > course - the closed software on that phone doesn't fully utilize it...
>
> I'm assuming that acquiring/monitoring the microphone input doesn't come
> for free.. but ambient noise level could also be used as an indicator of
> activity - either polling for one second every minute or so, or (if the
> ADC can be directed to acquire at a lower data rate) a continuous sample
> over a longer period of time -- you don't require too much resolution to
> monitor the presence of ambient noise.
>
> You would want to base it on an probabilistic analysis in either case,
> else it might pick up car headlights swinging across the window, a
> neighbours security light being triggered by raccoons, etc.
>
> Oh wait, that wouldn't work... if you had the phone in the bedroom it
> would allow incoming calls if you were snoring.
>
> Bah.
>
> Richard

It almost sounds like we should make a plugin framework for availability
detection, with plugins for the light sensor, PIM calendar, microphone (can
we set an interrupt if the ADC receives a level greater than X?) and so on
and so forth as people figure out other ways to detect it

--
--Jeff
What DO you call whitewater when you live in the desert?