tomtom on the Neo1973

Jonathon Suggs jsuggs at murmp.com
Mon Apr 2 20:34:07 CEST 2007

Andrew Turner wrote:
> Caching googlemaps tiles, and not through their client, is a violation
> of their Terms of Service.  Same for all the other providers.
<snip>

Here's an interesting question.  What if you constantly logged your
position (while driving).  Then when you got back home, you could upload
all of your data back to your desktop.  Would it be legal to have a
script analyze that data, and make "suggestions" from public sources (ie
google maps, mapquest, etc) as to what roads you traveled.  Once you
verified that information it could automatically upload back into
OpenStreetMaps (OSM)?  Basically just reducing some of the time/effort
required to upload information into OSM.

Better description: the script would break down each segment of your
trip (like a turn by turn breakdown) and give a list of possible street
names.  You pick the best one (or write in the correct one) for each
segment, then click finish and it handles the formatting of the data and
the uploading.

I'm not against paying money for tomtom software.  But if I could just
make my normal usage patterns translate into more information being
uploaded into OSM, then it could eventually help make it a viable
alternative (which right now it is not).  Bottom line, I'd be willing to
contribute a marginal amount of effort, but not much more than
that...and I'd be willing to bet that there are many others that would
do a little here and a little there but who wouldn't do it if it was
difficult/time consuming.

FYI, I have no idea how the OSM upload process works.  So if it IS
really easy, then nevermind.  If it isn't easy.  Does this sound like a
good idea (and is it legal)?