tomtom on the Neo1973

wim delvaux wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com
Tue Apr 3 00:58:44 CEST 2007

> Seems to confirm parent's interpretation. The code is closed, and 'free'
> only in so far as Nokia are allowing a no-cost download of the beta
> version. Navigation is a paid-for upgrade. The license agreement prevents
> redistribution of the data files, and prevents reverse-engineering of the
> data files as far as local law allows. Nokia, like Google, have paid for a
> license and are absorbing the cost, presumably to make money off a related
> sevice, but neither are allowed to let you use the data for anything else.

Well if you find some company willing to give away the maps and the routing
application for free ... Hard luck.

I would settle for a working modern yet non-free applicationn than a not
working, poorly detailed yet free version.

Also I 'think' smart2go would be providing a linux version.

Also AFAIK nor tomtom nor smart2go use their own charts.  They buy them too.
What if somebody writes a free application that works but with charts that
cost money ?