OpenMoko light web server

Alexander E Genaud alex at genaud.net
Tue Apr 17 12:37:34 CEST 2007

Tim,

I believe Microsoft created the non-standard XMLHttpRequest object
through Active X around IE 5 but it has become something of a standard
implemented by Firefox, Safari/Konquerer, Opera, and perhaps others.
I've been using a nice wrapper, Sarissa, successfully for a few years
in many environments.

http://dev.abiss.gr/sarissa/

I believe the asynchronous flag is implemented in those major
browsers. Alternatively, you can create an HttpConnection "class" with
it's own timeout, abort, polling (4K), threading, etc. While the
details are different across browsers, it seems that threads never
context switches unless explicitly asked to do so (such as Timeouts
and alert dialogs). In other words, a "ring" might come in, but if you
are calculating the Fibonacci numbers to the umpteenth power, the
"ring" thread probably won't alert you in good time. I believe that is
true regardless of the async flag.

Alex

 亚 |      alex at genaud.net
 历 |      http://genaud.net
 山 | GPS:  [ 55.67N 12.588E ]
 大 | PGP: CCC7 D19D D107 F079 2F3D BF97 8443 DB5A 6DB8 9CE1