picture viewer

Ortwin Regel ortwin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 18:33:06 CEST 2007

Dragging motions to the left/right could display the next/last
picture. Maybe even better: Only require a single touch at the left or
right side of the screen. Makes the screen last longer and is faster.
Left and right would be two sides each because the phone could be held
upwards and sideways, possibly depending on the individual picture.
I like the idea that a single touch (in the middle of the screen, if
the rim is used for picture switching) makes on screen controls
appear. However, we should think a little more about placement and
uses. I think they shouldn't necessarily be at the side of the screen.
In fact there should be two prominent ones in the middle of the
picture: One for starting a zooming motion, one for dragging the
visible area around. You have to start at the buttom but can use the
whole screen after that. The button symbols would have to be
recognizable equally from both directions. Since they are in the
middle of the screen they should probably be transparent to not appear
as obtrusive. For rotating the standard corner wheel can be used,
though it should be transparent, too. The lower right hand corner
(this refers to holding the phone vertically) could then have the
button for switching off the controls, the upper left hand corner the
escape from slideshow button, both diagonally orientated as to be
readable equally from both views.
The message of the controls should be: This is a handheld device! It
doesn't have to rotate pictures for you. Instead you can rotate the
device and enjoy the benefit of using more screen space.
The diagonal orientation might make sense for other applications and
I'd love to see it used.

If you need a mock up to understand this, tell me and I can make one.
It will look crappy, though.

Ortwin