Richard Stallmans standpoint about openmoko

Raphaël Jacquot sxpert at sxpert.org
Fri Apr 20 08:48:36 CEST 2007

[and this was obviously meant to be sent to the list]

Simon Norberg wrote:
> Hello,
> I mailed Richard Stallman a while ago regarding a few things including
> what he thought about openmoko and his answer was:
>
> I could endorse it if they get rid of the plan to use non-free
> software for the GPS.
>
> I don't think the answer surprise anyone, but atleast we know for sure
> now. And i really hope we can replace the non-free GPS software as soon
> as possible or atleast before the public release.

I'm still wondering *why* we need to use an AGPS device that's so dumb
that it needs the *host* to do most of the calculations, when we could
have used a SIRF-STAR III sensor, that does everything inside, just like
the GSM/GPRS module.

this sounds like this thing is the winmodem / winprinter of the GPS world