Release (WAS: Richard Stallmans standpoint about openmoko)

Hans Cats hanscats at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 10:44:22 CEST 2007

2007/4/20, Hans van der Merwe <hvdmerwe at sunspace.co.za>:

> On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 08:26 +0200, Simon Norberg wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I mailed Richard Stallman a while ago regarding a few things including
> > what he thought about openmoko and his answer was:
> >
> > I could endorse it if they get rid of the plan to use non-free
> > software for the GPS.
> >
> > I don't think the answer surprise anyone, but atleast we know for sure
> > now. And i really hope we can replace the non-free GPS software as soon
> > as possible or atleast before the public release.
>
> On that note - Im an electronic engineer and is eagerly awaiting the
> public release - or any release for that matter - I have a lot of DIY
> plans for the device (maybe some work related).
> So - any vague idea of a release date?
>

> E-Mail disclaimer:
> http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm

Liane write something like "end of april, beginning of may" somewhere at the
wiki, but I can't find it again.

I'm beginning to wonder if the phase1 and phase1+ (hardware refresh) is
being merged? IMHO I don't see the point of using $350 on a phase1 phone in
may and then $??? on a phase1+ phone in june if there is a significant
update. More information about the hardwarerevisions would be great.

Hans