Push mail

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 18:10:34 CEST 2007

On Monday 23 April 2007 13:26, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Just wondering, Nokia "Intellisync Wireless Email" is some kind of
> SyncML based mail push solution, right?

Couldn't say.

> What kind of push mail will the Neo support?

Anything anyone implements ;-)

More seriously I don't recall anything 'official' as to what it'll do out of
the box, but given some of the earlier traffic regarding tinymail and
camel-lite I would expect that to be a starting point. That already has an
implementation using IMAP IDLE, and may soon include SyncML. Some interest
has been expressed in the Lemonade profile too.

http://tinymail.org/trac/tinymail/wiki/WhenNewMessagesArrive
http://www.lemonadeformobiles.com/quick.html

Another interesting client would be Polymer, and its maemo version Telomer.
These use IMAP4rev1 and, according to some reports, Lemonade and P-IMAP.

http://dave.cridland.net/acap/polymer.html
http://trac.dave.cridland.net/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/Polymer770

Various other out-of-band methods have been discussed on this list to work
around the vagueries of different carriers' pricing policies, but seem less
likely to be implemented.

IMAP IDLE had the advantage of being supported by a wide variety of web
servers, so has a fair chance of 'just working'. IMAP4rev1 has a narrower
range of servers, but might still work - courier is the notable absentee on
the list usable by Polymer. Lemonade uses IDLE for its push support, plus
other extensions aimed at reducing bandwidth usage. P-IMAP was proposed for
Lemonade but didn't make the cut. It may have a change of fortune as Apple's
iPhone is said to use it.

http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/04mar/slides/lemonade-1/
http://tools.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-maes-lemonade-p-imap-12.txt