Widgets: Openmoko/Chumby transproject?

Florent THIERY fthiery at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:36:58 CEST 2007

Hi

I guess that many people already heard about the long-awaited chumby,
one of these hack-me devices.

Hardware specs:
# 266 MHz ARM controller (the MX21 by Freescale)
# 32 MB SDRAM running at 133 MHz bus speed
# 64 MB NAND FLASH ROM
# 320x240 3.5" TFT LCD
http://www.chumby.com/developers

And it runs linux (2.4-based :-\)

As we can see, the neo and the chumby have a lot in common, be it
ideas, hardware specs or even leaders ;)

Yes, it uses flash7 for widgets. Which has'nt even been considered in
the openmoko case... But what if the two projects shared the widget
aspect?

http://www.chumby.com/widgets/channels

The two products could share:
* embedded experience
* the content ecosystem
* the display platform (flash) and tools

I'm not saying "i want this". But: "why not"?

Florent