Fwd: Widgets: Openmoko/Chumby transproject?

J F fnordlator at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 17:11:52 CEST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: J F <fnordlator at gmail.com>
Date: Apr 24, 2007 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: Widgets: Openmoko/Chumby transproject?
To: t3st3r <t3st3r at mail.ru>

There's gnash - www.gnashdev.org

> I'm stated my point of view.Personally, I will never buy "open" phone
> where UI toolkit is heavily based on closed source thing and requiring
> me to buy proprietary Adobe app to create\change UI parts.That's hardly
> in open source spirit.

I do believe there are open source apps to create flash files, however, I'm
no expert on the subject and am too lazy to hunt for links right now :p
maybe someone who's had experience on this side of things could say
something on their quality.

> Also, flash based UIs I seen while looking good
> are quite slow and jerky even on powerful (and power consuming) desktop
> machines so they're hardly usable.Of course this is my own private
> opinition and it is safe to ignore it.

There are some youtube vids of the prototype chumby in action where it
doesn't look too sluggish - it has similar specs to the p1 fic1973, however
it is running an adobe closed source flash player that may be faster than
gnash.

I personally like the idea of having a ui that is designable by people who
work on websites who have more design skills than the average c haxxor...
Combined with an onboard webserver, one could do some fun things like
transplant the phone's ui to whatever full computer you have handy.

It would be fun to run some chumby things on the fic but I would imagine
*JUST* having a flash ui might be limiting for some projects - as a musician
I would dread using a flash metronome, it would never have the timing of
gtick.