700 Mhz Spectrum Auction

Giles Jones giles.jones at zen.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 23:28:53 CEST 2007

On 1 Aug 2007, at 22:16, Kyle Bassett wrote:

> You make such a good point.  Why does a company get to own our
> airwaves?  It doesn't make much sense.  Who says it's the
> government's right to auction off our airwaves?  Because the
> companies know how to utilize them better?  Oh yeah, Verizon is
> great at it...
>
> There is no reason we should have to pay a company to use a cell
> phone.

There's a hell of a lot of technology involved that's why.

It's not like CB or HAM radio, there's a massive transmitter in most
town and cities, there's repeater stations. It's all electronics that
costs money to run, electricity, repairs etc.

I don't pay rental costs, I just pay for calls and texts. It costs me
more but then I don't use it much as I'm near a computer or landline
a lot of the time.