Import Duty - I have refused my delivery.

Thomas Gstädtner thomas at gstaedtner.net
Fri Aug 3 14:53:16 CEST 2007

2007/8/3, David.Prior at generaldynamics.uk.com <
David.Prior at generaldynamics.uk.com>:

>  Thomas:
>
> Actually, speaking as someone who imports electronic components and
> peripherals for prototype systems from the US all the time, I do know what
> to expect when I import.

Then you shouldn't be  surprised. :)

Importation of computer devices and peripherals to the EU is indeed both VAT
> and import duty exempt -

No it isn't - it's only duty exempt, as customer (and that's what you are
here), you have to pay VAT.

it appears that the description of the goods, compounded with the value
> statement, has led to this issue. It is indeed OpenMoko's error in not
> understanding the rules and I hold them responsible for not disclosing that
> fact.

Well, this is a  kind of  "developer hardware preview". Definitely everyone
knew this fact. And imho(!) everyone should know what to expect, when he
confirmed the order.

When I can import USD$50,000 prototypes for computer peripheral units
> without paying VAT and without paying import duty, I expect to be able to do
> the same for a USD$450 prototype.

No, you can't. You import the prototypes as company - and you imported the
Neo as customer (at least I guess so, because everybody else did).
That's my understanding of this process, and that's how it is in germany
(and in the most other EU countries).

Not to get into a flame war but, for your reference, VAT is 17.5% in the
> UK....and I ordered the Advanced...

My fault - had something else in mind and just  estimated.
And flaming was not what I intended, so sorry if it sounded like that.

Have fun!

I do :)

David.