New looker where to start?

wim delvaux wim.delvaux at adaptiveplanet.com
Fri Aug 3 18:03:34 CEST 2007

On Friday 03 August 2007 17:14:36 Ian Darwin wrote:
> Tim Milliken wrote:
> > I am looking into joining in on this project. Welcome aboard!
>
> Welcome aboard!
>
>  > I am a windows programmer
> >
> > and know almost nothing about Linux. Where should I start? Can anyone
> > give me some starting points on getting started. Like do I have to be
> > running Linux as a host development OS?
>
> While it is in theory possible to develop on other *NIX-like OSes than
> Linux (such as BSD), I believe it would be a major amount of work. Doing
> so on Windows is probably beyond the capabilities of most individuals.
>
> > I am really lost but very
> > interested in this. I have thought about running Win CE 6.0 sine it is
> > kinda like and opensource, MS now includes the all the source for 6.0.
>
> Really? Allow me to ask a rhetorical question: Where can I download the
> complete source of Wince without paying anything, without signing
> anything and without confirming any license agreement?  If I can't, it
> is not anything like "open source". :-)

well for me 'open source' does not mean GPL.  'Open source' for me means the
source is available to you and you can modify it but it does not give you the
right to do what you want with it.

GPL that is another story.  It allows you to explicitely do what you want with
it (to some extent)

Mind you IANAL