700 Mhz Spectrum Auction

Derek Pressnall dpressnall at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 20:21:57 CEST 2007

On 8/2/07, Ian Stirling <OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com> wrote:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> However, the signals from distant stations still interfere, and increase
> the channel noise level, reducing range.
> With planned networks, this is all managed.
> With unplanned networks, it could in principle auto-configure, but only
> if everyone implements the same fairness protocol.

I had an idea that may help reduce radio interference in point to
point communications.  Lets say if one end (the base) was set up to
broadcast using multiple antennas aranged in some sort of pattern,
with a minimum of 3 antennas.  If they were each sending out the same
signal, then each tower's signal will reach a particular handset at a
different time (since the towers are spaced apart).  Which means that
each "stream" will have different noise/interference patterns, and the
handset can then process each signal seperately, re-align them in
software and pull out the similaraties and differences in each radio
stream.  This way the handset can  "focus" on the signal comming from
a particular group of towers and be able to eliminate most of the
noise.
The reverse can be done and the base end -- to pick out a signal
coming from a particular handset, just adjust how it overlaps the
signal streams comming from each tower, and it can focus on a single
handset.

Not sure how much processing power this would take, or how far apart
the antennas would need to be at the base, but it seams like it would
be an effective way to multiply the number of point-to-point links
that can be established within a given amount of radio spectrum.