Login Manager

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Mon Aug 6 02:22:41 CEST 2007

Shakthi Kannan wrote:
> On 8/5/07, Giles Jones <giles.jones at zen.co.uk> wrote:
>> Passwords and pins are pretty fiddly, even tedious to enter.
>
> AFAIK, when you buy a SIM card, you are given a 4-digit PIN number,
> which is the only means of authentication between the end-user and the
> GSM part of the phone. So, we have to live with that.

This is not the case.  I personally have a SIM card with *no* PIN on it.
 I could set a PIN on it if I chose to, but for that card I choose not to.

Setting the PIN is a choice of the user.  It does not have to be set.

So any login scheme cannot assume that the SIM card has a PIN on first boot.

-- Rod