What's the real scope of hardware openness?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200708 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:33:58 CEST 2007

"Luca Dionisi" <luca.dionisi at gmail.com>
writes:
> I mean, what if each phone in a neighborwood could be used as
> a "radio-bridge" in order for a caller to find a path to a callee
> without having to rely on a network operator and pay for it?

Sounds like you are looking for something like the old MIT "roofnet"
mesh-wifi project.  I believe those roofnet folks all went to Meraki
and are now (or will soon) be selling a rootnet-like box in the form
of the $50-$100 Meraki mesh nodes.  I don't know how much code is
shares with roofnet and if it still interoperates with roofnet.
(Roofnet was open-source of some flavor).

    http://meraki.com/solutions/

If it works and they feel like releasing interop details perhaps the
Neo-v2 with wifi can partake of this network.

-wolfgang
IPv6 on Fedora 7 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html