What's the real scope of hardware openness?

Luca Dionisi luca.dionisi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:07:05 CEST 2007

On 8/7/07, Mikko J Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> And also, wrt. mesh networking, you still don't really want to allow
> your phone, while it's mobile, to work as a bridge in the mesh;
> otherwise the battery would be dead in no time. But sure, advocate lots
> of open access points and perhaps putting the phone in mesh mode if it's
> hooked up to external power. And still there will be severe scalability
> issues, but what the hey, it's possible for _some_ N, right? :]

Yep.
Anyway I would insist in finding a solution that doesn't rely
heavily in access points.  It would be a showstopper.
IMHO we could reach the needed adoption level only if the
mobile phone (that everyone nowadays carries with him) is
the only needed spot.
If the mesh protocol is smart, I think the consumption problem
could be worked out.
Are you sure that I'm advocating the wrong way to go?