What's the real scope of hardware openness?

Luca Dionisi luca.dionisi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:34:42 CEST 2007

On 8/7/07, AVee <openmoko-comunity at avee.org> wrote:
> Of course thing can always be optimised, but i doubt that will be sufficient.
> Your idea boils down to replacing GSM towers with a handfull of NEOs. That
> whould roughly mean that all the power consumed a GSM tower now needs to be
> provided by the batteries of these NEOs. Thats not something trivial.

Many NEOs -> many batteries.
Few NEOs -> few power need.
Scaleable, isn't it?

I know I'm simplifying.  I'm not saying it's trivial.

> And there will be added complexity because the system will have to cope with all
> the NEOs moving around, constantly changing routes from A to B etc.
> It may not be impossible, but it's not going to be easy.

I think the guys behind Netsukuku or BATMAN are already aware
of those problems.
E.g. the previously mentioned link says:
Netsukuku is designed to handle an unlimited number of nodes
with minimal CPU and memory resources.

I don't know for sure if they write sentences like that one without
having a clue.

> Apart from that, systems like this are like public roads. With just a few
> users there is no problem at all, but when things get crowded you will need
> some rules or it will become a useless mess.

We should think about a way to enforce such rules for when we need them.