User Interface idea

Giles Jones giles.jones at zen.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 02:13:13 CEST 2007

On 14 Aug 2007, at 00:48, Derek Pressnall wrote:

> What I meant was that apps that would be "in use" would be split into
> a piece that runs in the background, and a forground part that talks
> to the display / input.  And the background part would only be running
> when needed.

It's sorta done like that already, we have GUI applications and
runtime libraries.

> Now the phone app would always have a module running since it has to
> listen for incomming phone calls.

gsmd handles the calls, there's a library too.

> The UI portion of the phone app
> that uses the "phone desktop" would be the default / primary app that
> is always available on it when nothing else is running

Sounds like you use the phone a lot? while that's right for you,
other people use messaging or PDA functions more. You might find
additional clicks to launch a dialer annoying, if you make dialer
default someone else may think multiple clicks to browse their files
annoying.

Lets not hardcode any form of functionality into the device, let
people choose. Having a default desktop handler or a homescreen which
can display plugins is the way to go about it.